Sunday 30 March 2008

Je suis sérieuse, je ne veux jamais boire comme ça encore! Promis...

It appears I may have learnt my lesson. I know it's the classic line when one suffers a hangover, but I honestly think the years of my mother telling me to drink more responsibly and stop bingeing may have paid off. So, as the clocks spring forward and I have an extra hour of daylight to call my own each evening, I've made a summer time resolution: gone are the days where I'll drink just for the sake of it; arrived are the days where I know my limit, and don't go past them, no matter what the occasion.

It's so simple to write down, and say, but after the torture that was yesterday's hangover, I think this may be one resolution that I'll manage to keep. And I may keep hold of my principles en même temps that way too. For instance, in the bar we were in on Friday, the bar staff had many gimmicks which were not too funny at the start of the night. A few cosmopolitans later, and they were hilarious. Why? Thinking back now, I'm totally ashamed that alcohol changed my view. But as is always the case, it did.

And so now the main goal in life is to enjoy it, savour it, and - most importantly - remember it. Summer will mean no hanging around, the sunshine will motivate me to get things done that have needed doing since forever. Getting that oh-so-desired beach bod won't happen if I have many more wild night like Friday, will it? Once I open up the shutters and let the sunshine in that is. And then I have to get over the shortage of sleep imposed upon me by daylight saving. That gives me an excuse for continued procrastination for the next week or so, at least.

Saying goodbye to winter always makes me feel good though. Living on the Cote d'Azur, I had the good fortune of welcoming spring around three or four weeks ago. Slowly but surely, the woolly jumpers and winter jackets are finding their way to the back of the wardrobe, and the pretty floral spring/summer outfits are coming to the fore. I surprise myself by how much I smile just at being able to wear something pretty to match the nice weather, as opposed to wrapping myself up in as many layers as possible to match the dismal cold weather of the winter months.

Boo winter. Vive l'été! Just let me wake up first, eh?

No comments: