Sunday 14 October 2007

Some can't do it without a ****ing Jonny

You may be able to sense my anger/disappointment with last night's Rugby World Cup semi-final result. Being a Welsh girl, I feel I'm entitled to continue the traditional Wales-England rivalry.

Firstly, I genuinely believe that England did not deserve to make it past the group stages given their performance during this tournament. Not that I think Wales should have progressed either - they played like morons too. But secondly, and perhaps more significantly, it really annoys me that the England team relies on one person to win them points on the back of which they win these matches. They are meant to be a team, yet only Jonny can honestly say that he does his job properly. When England won the RWC in 2003, it was thanks to Jonny's boot. And this time around, the team's success is thanks to Jonny's boot. Excellent "teamwork", England.

It's a real shame that France didn't make the final, the atmosphere for the final would have been electric all over the country had they done so. I squeezed myself into a tiny Irish bar with some friends for the match, and it felt amazing. The French are good sports, even when there's one person supporting the opposition (which wasn't me, just to be clear).

But, as is always the case when alcohol is involved, one crazy fool at the bar has to spoil the fun. Some touchy-feely idiot with one front tooth insisted on naming all the anglophone people he could think of, and I quote: "Alfred 'Eetchcock, Meechael Jacksohn, 'Arrreee Pottair". You get the idea. Fortunately, we were saved by some cute French lads who said something none of us understood following which he left.

So, down with England in the final. Sorry, but I couldn't cope with all those swinging chariots and victory bus tours around London again. Especially when it's so undeserved given recent form.

No comments: