Saturday 6 October 2007

It'll be alright on the night


There is a saying in French that "tout va s'arranger". The laid-back, carefree mentality of the French is summed up in those three words. In fact, those three words could some up the mentality of any country on the continent.

So why not Britain? We are very much a part of Europe, despite our ongoing (and personally supported) resistance to join the Euro. Why do we have a mentality that makes everything of the utmost importance. That burning desire to be on time is stopping us from seeing life for what it is: life. While Britain persists in chasing the Americans in terms of on-the-go eating and drinking, the continent refuses to let Starbucks/McDonald's/any other fast-food outlet to take over and monopolise the high streets. Instead, Europe prefers the traditional café, preferably located in a pedestrian zone, where customers can sit outside and enjoy the sunshine, the tranquility and the company.

And no, I don't think this continental tradition should be integrated into British life. For a start we don't have the weather to encourage dining al-fresco. But what I do believe is that we should look to our European neighbours, the people closer to us, rather than the neighbours across the pond. Much as I am a weakling when it comes to walking past a branch of Starbucks, I do try my best not to order it "to go", preferring to order a great big sturdy mug in place of a cardboard tube, and sit in a fairly comfortable chair with a book in my free hand.

But doing this carries its own stereotypes, specifically the tag of "swot" or "nerd" in places that do not house many students. Certainly where I come from, sitting in a café, taking one's time with a coffee and taking some time out for myself is pretty much unheard of. In fact, going out for a leisurely lunch or evening meal is becoming rarer by the day. Everyone is in such a rush, they can't let their food digest a little before zooming off to their next "must do" activity.

Grrr. Bring in longer lunch hours and I'll be happier. 30minutes is just not enough, even to scoff down a sandwich as we run between the office and the sandwich shop and back to the office again.

I guess what I'm saying is, relax. Take it easy. Tout va s'arranger.

4 comments:

rob said...

I think that you are right about slowing down and relaxing. This moment, right now, is our life. sometimes, when I move slowly, I feel like a bit of debris in a current, swept along by the rush of people around me.

Little Dik-Dik said...

Thanks Rob! That's precisely what I was getting at as I wrote my post!

I am as guilty as the next person when it comes to flying through life and not thinking about the trail I'm leaving behind me, and being immersed in this more relaxed culture is really making me think. At first, I felt that France needed to speed up. Now that I'm getting used to slowing down my pace, I realise that the UK needs to step down a gear, and shake off the grip of urgency in our actions.

katy yelland said...

Mmmm I recognise those sausages.....

Little Dik-Dik said...

Indeed, they are the very sausages from one of our many gourmet meals last year. Nothing can ever beat sausage and mash with peas and Bisto, I don't think.